December 21, 2014, 09:13:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do dealers come off (or mark up) a new pop-up???  (Read 3138 times)
Arkpop
Handle Cranker

« on: June 29, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

My wife and I are doing a little shopping around for a new pop-up but I have never bought a new one so have no idea how much they mark them up.  The one we are looking at sort of is a 2011 Forest River Flagstaff 206ST and it has all the options I think.  (Dealer list of options: QUEEN BED AND FULL SIZE BED, BOTH ARE HEATED. J-LOUNGE DINETTE THAT MAKES DOWN INTO BED, 3 BURNER STOVE TOP, EXTERIOR GAS GRILL, 3 WAY FRIDGE, 3 SPEED FANTASTIC FAN, WATER FILTER SYSTEM, PATIO AWNING, PORT-A-POTTIE, 4 SCISSOR JACKS, ELECTRIC LIFT SYSTEM, SPARE TIRE AND CARRIER, BATTERY, 1 L.P. GAS TANK & MORE.)

Anyway, I emailed them about it and asked for their rock bottom price on it and the email I get back says "these sell for $9,775 and this price includes the AC" and all options listed above. So then I asked if they have one between the 206ST and the 176LTD (they have this one on their lot for $6995) and he said they did not but they do make them, they just didn't have one.  He asked how far off they were on the 206ST and they have 2 on the lot and one really needs to find a home so they may budge a little if I can budge a little.  So, obviously the 9775 is not their "rock bottom" like I asked for. haha  Anyway, how much could I expect them to come off?? What is a good price for this camper?Huh??   Thanks for ANY help gang!  I am not new to pop-up camping, just new to buying a new one. ha I look forward to the info I gain from this site!

Jared
Arkpop
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »

Ok so I went back to dealer with a price of $7500 max and he said he couldn't go that low on the 206ST.  BUT, he said he had a 206LTD that they thought they sold but the customers financing fell through and he can sell it for $7200 with A/C, Heat, Awning, 3-way fridge, cook stove, heated mattress's, spare tire and carrier, one filled LP bottle and battery and manual lift.  Is this a good price?Huh?Huh??

Thanks again gang!
Arkpop
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »

Surely someone on here has bought a new popup and knows about how much a dealer comes off. :(
campkeri
Handle Cranker

Brampton, Ontario

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

I would try to do a google search for the model and year you're looking at, with all the same features, find the lowest price, and start about 10%-15% down from that. They'll talk you up a bit, but maybe you can get them to throw something you need into the price.

DW, DH ,DD1 (98), DD2 (00), DS (05)
2011 ROCKWOOD 2516G
2004 TOYOTA SIENNA LE
2010 - 13 NIGHTS TENTING
2011 - 20 NIGHTS
2012 - 9 NIGHTS SO FAR
p220sigman
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »

The problem with RVs in general is that it is difficult to find a true MSRP.  It isn't nearly as easy as it is with cars.  Based on the dealer indicated MSRP, we got about 26% off when we bought.  In looking at the models you indicated, Peco Camping in Atlanta has both models.  Their indicated price on the 206ST is $8995 down from $11464 and the price on the 206LTD is $7495 down from $8345.  It sounds like the price you have is in the ballpark.  Depending if you are willing to walk or not, you may can get a few hundred more.  You may also see what they would drop if you don't take the full tank and battery.  You may be able to pick these up yourself and save some.

PopUp Blue  Van Red
2004 Toyota Sienna
2010 Viking 2485 SST
 USAFlorida
PUP Nights in 2014 - 4
Tent Nights in 2014 - 6
PUP Nights in 2013 - 5
Tent Nights in 2013 - 8
PUP Nights in 2012 - 7
Tent Nights in 2012 - 9
Sleeping on the floor in the Jacksonville Zoo Nights in 2012 - 1
Arkpop
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »

So he came back and said he had a 206LTD and he could sell it for $7200 (although some other customers are coming from 1/2 way across the state to look at it this morning  Embarrassed ) .  He said $6995 was the bottom dollar on the 176ltd and he said he could go to $8,963 on the 206ST but that was bottom dollar.  Hmm. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:44:58 AM by Arkpop » Logged
monkeywrencher
Back-er-in-er

Twin Cities Minnesota

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »

Prices on PUPs seem to be all over the board.  Here's an example.  We were not originally going to buy a new PUP.  We went to a late season RV show at a local county fairgrounds last fall and found a dealer that had exactly what we wanted.  It is the one we now own, a 2010 Flagstaff 228.  They told me the list price was $9990.00 and the sale price was $6500.00.  It included most of what you have listed without the port a pottie.  Stove, fridge, nearly useless outdoor grill, battery, propane tank, heated mattresses, electric lift and on and on.  We couldn't really turn it down.

The price seems to be related to what the local market is like, not any real MSRP.  We happened to find the camper nobody in this area wanted and a dealer that really wanted it gone before it snowed.  Maybe hanging out until the end of the season is the best bet.  It seems to be here in snow land.  If they can get someone to pay their price, they won't sell it to you for less.

Monkeywrencher '61
DW '62
DD '99
DS '02
'10 Flagstaff 228
'01 Grand Caravan
Arkpop
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »

Prices on PUPs seem to be all over the board.  Here's an example.  We were not originally going to buy a new PUP.  We went to a late season RV show at a local county fairgrounds last fall and found a dealer that had exactly what we wanted.  It is the one we now own, a 2010 Flagstaff 228.  They told me the list price was $9990.00 and the sale price was $6500.00.  It included most of what you have listed without the port a pottie.  Stove, fridge, nearly useless outdoor grill, battery, propane tank, heated mattresses, electric lift and on and on.  We couldn't really turn it down.

The price seems to be related to what the local market is like, not any real MSRP.  We happened to find the camper nobody in this area wanted and a dealer that really wanted it gone before it snowed.  Maybe hanging out until the end of the season is the best bet.  It seems to be here in snow land.  If they can get someone to pay their price, they won't sell it to you for less.

Good idea Monkey.  Maybe after Labor day and all the schools are started back up and summer is about over.  That way I could still get it in time for hunting season.  Big Smile  plus we could save up even more money between now and then and finance even less.  Big Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: